December 28, 2008

Out the Door

I'm getting ready to head out the door!

We are going to the ICU at the hospital (the same place CD spent his first 21 days of his life) to visit my brother-in-law. Yesterday he was putting away Christmas decorations on a shelf in his garage (8 ft up). He had their biggest tub of goodies, standing at the top of the metal ladder. The ladder buckles and he falls that 8 feet landing on his riding lawn mower. He comes to the front door, my sister-in-law thinking he was ready for another tub to put away. She opens the door and he is holding his head. He tells her "I think I broke my neck.".

Aunt S (my SIL) said it was like an awful movie. She saw blood just gushing out of his head, about 2 inches above his ear. It was so bad she couldn't bring herself to access the situation so she calls the neighbor to come check Uncle G (BIL). You have to know Uncle G to fully understand why Aunt S didn't just call 911. He is ALWAYS having something happen (he once fell from a bridge he was working on) and being the tough country boy he is, he does NOT go to the doctor unless it's life or death.

Well, the neighbor feels it is bad enough to warrant a call to 911 and an ambulance comes to pick him up. Even with them suggesting that Uncle G let them take him to the ER he didn't want to go with them. Aunt S finally convinces him to take the ride (in fear that he may become paralyzed).

It ended up that he crushed some of the skull bones and had so much blood clotting that he looked like he had a second head. So, they had to perform surgery to release the pressure and to insert a metal plate over his brain.

So far he is recovering well. We have to pray that no infection gets in and that he has no more swelling. We know he is doing better because he keeps asking everyone to bring his snuff to him.

Due to the holidays I have been behind on my normal fun posts. I had intended on catching up with my Friday Fragments yesterday but with his accident and I had my family in town for our Christmas celebration (gorging) I will have to try to send my fragments later.

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas! We are leaving for our visit now so I will keep you updated!

12 other ramblers babbled:

Leslie said...

Oh my gosh, I'm sooo sorry to hear about that! Men, they can be so macho sometimes. Positive thoughts and prayers coming Uncle G's way!

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Oh does this hit home and bring back some terrible memories. Hope he does well.

Miss JC said...

Oh, that is such a crazy story! Poor thing... I pray that everything will be okay and that your family can finally have some relief. Crazy accidents like that are soooo scary... I will send TONS of positive vibes your direction!

Deb said...

please keep us posted and we are all thinking positive thoughts. sounds like he is in good hands. and hey, what an awesome, calm neighbor. i would love to say i would react so well, but i can not even imagine!!!

take care.

Laura Marchant said...

Oh that is awful. I will be praying for him to make a speedy recovery. That is so scary.

Keri said...

My goodness, this is terrible! And to think, Uncle G didn't even want to go to the hospital. Sure glad surgery went well and he is doing better. I'll be praying for a quick recovery. Please, do keep us posted.

Veronica Lee said...

I lit a candle and said a prayer for Uncle G.

Anonymous said...

omg, that's horrible. I can't believe he remained conscious and able to talk after that. I'll be praying for him.

Pam said...

OMG, that is awful!! Andy is so accident prone like that. I am thinking of putting him in a plastic bubbble. Want me to send one your way when we find one?

Seriously though, our hearts go out to him and your family. That is super scary, and he will be in our thoughts and prayers that the infections stay away, and that he recovers quickly.

Chris said...

OMG!! That is terrible Leanna. I hope everything is okay and he recovers quickly.

Rachel said...

Tis the season. My sort of boyfriend fell off a roof last month, broke some of his ribs, fractured a bone in his neck, punctured his lung, and broke his pelvis front and back. I hope that your BIL has a smooth recovery with no complications. It will likely be a long process though.

kristi said...

OMG !! I will say a prayer for your family. I just found you thru What's in Sissy's Head .